Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sweetest boys ever

We headed to Bozeman for Halloween, trick-or-treating, a little cousin time and, a head start on our trip to the coast. We had a delicious meal with the Schuylers and then headed out for some doorbell ringing with Super-Sawyer-lightning bolt, Spiderman, Spiderman, a duck and a Soldier.




Maddox insisted on entering every house as soon as the door was ajar despite many attempts at explaining the proper etiquette.


You can see here, Maddox is standing NEXT to the candy lady, facing the camera :)

All was well, until the third time that Maddox ate it and smacked his face on the cement. He got a little skinned on his upper lip and squealed like a stuck pig.

You can see the owie on his sweet little face.

I got him calmed and he desperately wanted to know where his candy bucket was and to rejoin his cousins. Reese and I headed inside with the littler guys and the dads took the boys for more trick-or-treating. Upon their returning I learned that Maddox had fallen several more times, the last time breaking the bucket... the dads didn't realize what had happened and so he left a trail of candy behind him as it fell out the bottom. Bing recovered a small handful and Maddox was perfectly happy eating all of it, not realizing all that he had lost. I, however, couldn't help but cry for my sweet knight. I continued to replay the falling and candy dropping over and over in my head until about 4 am, and would melt into sobs, I was a big mess. He didn't even realize that he was bleeding until mid-morning when I pulled out a mirror to explain why it hurt every time he scratched at his owie. What was supposed to be a fun night with his cousins hoarding candy and sorting the loot turned out much less glorious than I had in mind, but Maddox didn't even notice. When I asked him today if he had fun last night, did he trick-or-treat with his cousins, did he get lots of candy and eat it all.... the answer was a happy yes on all accounts. He is so tender and sweet, I just melt for this kid. I suppose I could take lessons from him on having a positive outlook.

Jetty had fun too, his monster mittens made it impossible for him to hold a bucket but he stood with the best of them, waiting patiently for the candy to be dispensed.


little stinker

After eating all of his candy, we put the boys into jammies and headed out for Astoria. We rolled into town at about 9:30 this morning, napped and recovered from a really long night of driving. Whew.

4 comments:

lanerdoo said...

"6" was not supposed to be the title but, Blogger is vexing me right now and I was lucky to get this posted. Forgive any errors or weirdness, we are fortunate that I didn't throw my laptop across the room.

Addie said...

Glad you got it posted, sorry you continued to have frustration!

Jenny Waller said...

I adore your boys, Lane. Hope you have a great trip!

Lindsey K said...

Laners, I love your family and YOU! I miss you guys. enjoy your time on the coast.