Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Surgery

Ok, here is the rundown of our (Bing's) day, yesterday.
5:20 am they woke Bing up to get showered and ready for the Electro Physiology test.
6:00 am I arrived to smooch on, cuddle with and pray over Bing before he was wheeled off.
6:30 am came and left
7:30 am came and left
8:15 they finally came to get him. Mind you, they told us to be at this place at 6:30 but no one showed up to the office, or answered the phone until 8 am.

Bing had to be awake for the procedure so that they could get an accurate portrayal of how his electrical system works. If he is sedated his heart rate drops and everything is generally skewed.

They inserted several catheters through his groin and up into his heart. They then mapped his heart with electrical impulses. They were able to stimulate an arrhythmia that sent his heart beat up to 300. Unaware that he was still conscious, but unable to speak, they shocked him to regulate his heart. Bing describes this procedure as Japanese torture. He was awake and helpless while they poked, prodded and shocked his heart... I can't even imagine.

About two hours later, they determined that a valve was not yet necessary and that we would go ahead with the defibrillator. They promptly wheeled him back down and began the surgery.

He was awake for this procedure too, although much more comfortable, I believe he described it as going to the spa in comparison to the first procedure. They made an incision just below his left collar bone and manually stretched his tissue into a pocket that could house his new hardware. They gave him the "good" unit that has two leads into his heart, rather than one. The two leads mean that he has less chance of being shocked inappropriately, we like this.

We escaped open heart surgery, and valve replacement, this time around. Eventually, Bing will need his valve replaced but the longer you wait, as long as it is safe, the better. Technology only gets better with time, and replacement valves degrade at a faster rate than your original equipment. So, we are praying for miraculous leaps and bounds in research and development of heart valves.

I have lots more that I could write on the subject of Bing's heart but I'll save some for later.

We thank God for the amazing network of friends and family that have been praying for us and supporting us through this week. We are exhausted and broken but we are also hopeful and on the road to recovery. We love you all and are so very thankful for everything you have done for us.

7 comments:

Erica Burkhalter said...

Thank you for the update, Lane. You are a strong woman and I admire your steadfastness. We are praying for you and will add the topics of your last post to our list. Safe travels as you journey home!

Addie said...

I love you and missed your painting skills this weekend. Will you hug Bing gently for me?

Janelle Wilson said...

I will be very careful not to tell any "shocking" jokes to Bing for a while. I hope my "electric" personality doesn't cause him pain. I am looking forward to a "surge" in "positive" feelings when I see that he is well. And I love AC/DC.

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God is a miracle worker and Bing will be healed from this!
-Whitney Taylor

Gailzee said...

Sigh....relief....God is good and His faithfulness is never ending.

Reese said...

I've heard Japanese torture is the absolute worst kind of torture...so, kudos to Bing for enduring it :). Also, I'm wondering if you can see the defibrillator through his skin? Kinda creepy - kinda cool.

Grammie Perrine said...

You dido a wonderful job of sharing Bing's story. My friend Lu and her hubby Anthony are placing a "jar" at his booth at the GH Farmer's Market to help you with daily living expenses. I printed off another Hospital Photo and sent it to them. I am praying that I hit the lottery and can make all the worries go away. I treasure the time we had together even though the circumstances were lousy. I love you, that darling grandbaby and my boy. Keep your chin up, darling...kisses Mama